BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See

I finished this book a couple of weeks ago. I really liked it. It's been compared to Memoirs of a Geisha, which I have also read, but I liked this one a lot more. It's takes place in 19th century China and follows the life of Lily, a daughter of a farmer. It's about the Chinese practice of foot binding (which is no longer done, thankfully) and women's roles. Reading books like this bother the feminist side of me. I am amazed at what women went through (and were put through). It was terrible. The beginning dwells a lot on the foot binding and match making that young girls went through, but the book is really about the friendship between Lily and Snow Flower, who are matched as friends for life upon beginning the foot binding process. When I started this book, I had to go do a search online for images of foot binding, just to see what exactly it looked like. Go here to the authors website for a better synopsis of the book and also to see some pictures of foot binding.

7 comments:

Kara said...

My book club just read this book ,but I didn't read it since I knew I wouldn't be there. If I had to read one of the two, which one would you recommend?

Margaret said...

I've never read this or even heard of it. I'll read it soon though. I need something to suggest to my bookclub.

Kirsten (Geeky Owl) said...

I read this book too. I really liked it. I love learning about other cultures.

adrienne said...

Kara-
This is good. I think you'd enjoy it. But I'd really like to hear what you think about the Red Tent. Read them both at some point.
Margaret-
Is your book club a church one? I only ask, because there is a little bit of sexuality in it. It depends on how your open your book club is.
Kirsten-
It is so interesting to read about other cultures. I was shocked by the fact that the author isn't Chinese! She just did a lot of research. I assumed she was, but, nope!

Kris said...

So we are also reading this in our book club, what-do-ya-know! So I'll definitely be getting back to you on this too, soon :)

Kris said...

Oh I was going to ask you....
Right now I am reading "Mina" By Jonatha Ceely and I am also reading her other book, kind of it's sequel "Bread and Dreams", I was wondering have you read these? I have started both of them and I like them so far I thought of you and thought you might like them. Just a suggestion if you were looking for something new to read.

Margaret said...

Yes it is a church bookclub, but technically not since our stake has a rule you can only read LDS authors if you have a bookclub...long story.
Anywya, so its all women from my ward but we read whatever we want. Some are more open to certain books than others, so I am always careful because I don't think I'm offended much, if at all, by literature.